The Television Academy, which awards the Primetime Emmys, expelled Mr. Weinstein, mentioning standard and “deeply disturbing” examples of his habits towards ladies.
• Our gender editor appears at how social media, well-known accusers and a generational alternate add up to a profound shift.
Trouble in paradise.
• Revelations proceed from the “Paradise Papers,” a trove of documents from an offshore firm used to obscure wealth.
As Apple’s tax construction, and its reliance on Ireland, got here beneath scrutiny, the tech massive turned to the island of Jersey, within the English Channel.
• According to at least one estimate, tax methods like those Apple used value governments up to $240 billion a 12 months in misplaced earnings.
Election Day within the U.S.
Several state and native elections are being held nowadays, together with in New York City, the place electorate are deciding whether to hand Mayor Bill de Blasio another term.
If you’re catching up at the problems, we list seven reasons to vote in New York.
• And right here’s what to observe in the governor’s races in Virginia and New Jersey.
“The Daily”: The Texas gunman.
• We take a look at why a home violence conviction failed to prevent Devin Kelley from purchasing guns.
• Broadcom has presented to shop for a rival chip maker, Qualcomm, for $105 billion, in what can be the biggest takeover within the historical past of the generation trade.
• The Republican tax invoice would chop taxes, on reasonable, however it will elevate them for thousands and thousands of middle-class households, a Times analysis found.
Tips, each new and previous, for a extra enjoyable lifestyles.
• Readers proportion guidelines for the perfect out-of-office email reply.
• Are you a savvy traveler? Take our quiz to determine. (The questions include nice holiday recommendation!)
• Recipe of the day: Get bold with a clam-chowder pizza.
• Wright here East meets West.
In nowadays’s 360 video, visit the Louvre Abu Dhabi, created by way of the architect Jean Nouvel, which targets to behave as a bridge between civilizations.
• Protections for Nicaraguans to finish.
Thousands who arrived illegally within the U.S., a lot of them many years in the past, will have to leave the country, the Trump management stated.
• A battle over gardening?
The altercation that left Senator Rand Paul nursing bruised lungs and damaged ribs was once stated to have begun over a landscaping dispute with a neighbor.
• Partisan writing you shouldn’t omit.
Writers from around the political spectrum discuss the church shooting in Texas.
• A parasite downside in Norway.
Fish farmers face new curbs geared toward protective the rustic’s shares of untamed salmon, that have greater than halved, partially as a result of the spread of sea lice.
• Rising tensions within the Middle East.
Saudi Arabia known as a missile fired from Yemen an “act of war” by way of Iran, signaling the sharpest escalation in just about 3 many years of hostility between the regional opponents, our correspondent writes in an analysis.
Separately, the political purge in Saudi Arabia has created a gilded jail. We got video from inside the Ritz-Carlton in the capital, Riyadh, the place royals, industry leaders and previous govt ministers are being held.
• Best of late-night TV.
James Corden and the opposite hosts made fun of President Trump’s visit to Japan.
• Quotation of the day.
“Over the years, we all saw him change into something that he wasn’t. To be completely honest, I’m really not surprised this happened, and I don’t think anyone who knew him is very surprised either.”
One hundred years in the past nowadays, probably the most century’s most momentous uprisings hit St. Petersburg. The Russian Revolution’s eventual result, the Soviet Union, presented hope for some however delivered struggling for lots of.
Throughout the centenary 12 months, we explored the legacy of Communism in a series of Op-Eds, “Red Century.”
Perhaps much less famous is how the revolution modified culinary historical past. Millions of émigrés of the stays of the Russian Empire took their delicacies with them.
“As the American, wandering a foreign land, longs for ham and eggs country style, so does the Russian exile want borsch, the national Russian soup with his meal,” The Times wrote in 1935. “And in New York he gets it.”
A Parisian cookbook from 1938 described borscht as “a Russian soup made from beef, duck, pork belly, garnished with cabbage julienne and beetroot.” (It additionally equipped a Polish model.)
To at the moment, eating places in Hong Kong serve “lor soong tong,” a soup derived from the borscht made by way of migrants from Russia and Eastern Europe who sought safe haven in what was once then a British colony.
And simply remaining month, Ukraine sought to widen the soup’s global reach on Twitter: “@Google & @Apple, time to have a borscht emoji!”
Patrick Boehler contributed reporting.
What do you want to look right here? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can get the briefing delivered in your inbox Sunday thru Friday. We have 4 world editions, timed for the Americas, Europe, Asia and Australia, and an Evening Briefing on weeknights. Check out our complete vary of unfastened newsletters here.