• White House officers had up to now stated the investigation was once underway when the accusations from his two former other halves got here to gentle remaining week. Here’s what we know about the events.
“A private transaction”
• President Trump’s longtime non-public attorney paid $130,000 from his own pocket to Stephanie Clifford, the pornographic-film actress referred to as Stormy Daniels, who says she had an affair with Mr. Trump.
“The payment to Ms. Clifford was lawful, and was not a campaign contribution or a campaign expenditure by anyone,” the attorney, Michael Cohen, advised The Times.
He has up to now stated that Mr. Trump denies the affair.
• The attorney’s involvement was once first reported by way of Maggie Haberman, certainly one of our White House correspondents. She lately discussed the art of interviewing, and gave her predictions for 2018.
Charges advisable for Israeli chief
• Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu should be charged with bribery, fraud and breach of trust, the Israeli police stated on Tuesday after a yearlong graft investigation.
He is accused of accepting just about $300,000 in items, together with pricey cigars, jewellery and Champagne, in trade for favors. If he’s charged, it could be a primary for a sitting high minister within the nation.
• “I think a deep legal responsibility to proceed to steer Israel in some way that can make sure that our long term,” Mr. Netanyahu later stated in a televised deal with.
Shaun White returns to halfpipe gold
• During nowadays’s ultimate run, the American snowboarder “opened up with a frontside double cork 1440 followed by a cab double cork 1440,” one of our reporters on the Winter Olympics writes.
Your briefing creator doesn’t know what that suggests, however the mixture helped White win the gold medal, his 3rd in 4 Olympics.
• Sam Manchester, a Times sports activities editor, is at the floor in Pyeongchang and sending messages to readers about what it’s like. Sign up here.
Listen to ‘The Daily’: Republicans and the Deficit
President Trump has proposed the cheap that may upload $7 trillion to the federal deficit. Republicans are announcing not anything.
• “Stocks are too expensive.” Inflated costs may just discourage paintings and capital funding, atmosphere the degree for extra inequality, our economics columnist writes.
• A downturn in California isn’t most probably anytime quickly, economists say. But the state’s governor, Jerry Brown, wants it to start preparing.
• Netflix lured the hit-making producer Ryan Murphy from 21st Century Fox in a deal price as much as $300 million.
Tips, each new and previous, for a extra pleasing lifestyles.
• Bring certain power into your own home, no matter how tight the space.
• Sex shouldn’t be painful. Here’s advice from a gynecologist.
• Roman egg drop soup is a simple midweek recipe.
• A fog of battle in Syria
Four Russians, and perhaps dozens more, were killed in contemporary combating between pro-government forces in japanese Syria and individuals of the U.S.-led coalition combating the Islamic State, in line with Russian and Syrian officers.
The Kremlin has sidestepped questions, announcing that any Russians who had been killed had been mercenaries, now not individuals of the military.
• 12,000 tactics to mention “I love you”
A collection of Valentine’s Day cards, from as early because the 1680s, options pop-ups, cutouts and Civil War squaddies.
Today could also be Ash Wednesday, which coincides with Valentine’s Day for the primary time since 1945. It’s a dilemma for those observing Lent: extravagant presentations of romantic love, or fasting and willpower?
• Price of privateness: $560 million
New Hampshire won’t give a Powerball winner her cash until she shall we her title be made public.
• Dogs have their day
Flynn, a bichon frisé with powder-puff fur, was named Best in Show on the 142nd Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show on Tuesday.
Begging for extra? Here are photos from the competition.
• Finding a misplaced pressure of rice
The seek for hill rice resulted in Trinidad and Thomas Jefferson, and now to excitement among African-American chefs.
• Best of late-night TV
Several comedy hosts are taking the week off, so our roundup is, too. It will go back subsequent week.
• Quotation of the day
“I looked around and saw my competitors, they’re all doing these quads, and at the same time they’re a head shorter than me, they’re 10 years younger than me, and they’re the size of one of my legs.”
— Adam Rippon, a determine skater at the U.S. Olympic crew, on pressures he confronted associated with frame symbol and consuming.
• The Times, in different phrases
Valentine’s Day is widely thought to mark a wine-fueled festival for dating in historical Rome.
But in North Korea, Feb. 14 indicates a distinct roughly affection. On at the present time in 2012, Kim Jong-il, who led the rustic from 1994 till his loss of life in 2011, was once posthumously named a “generalissimo.”
The announcement got here two days ahead of what would were Mr. Kim’s 70th birthday, which remains to be celebrated within the nation as “The Day of the Shining Star.”
The simplest different North Korean generalissimo is Mr. Kim’s father, Kim Il-sung, who started ruling in 1945 and won the identify in 1992, two years ahead of his loss of life. The time period is a transparent lower above the “marshal” identify held by way of North Korea’s present chief, Kim Jong-un.
The more youthful Mr. Kim would possibly keep in energy for many years, even though, and he already has a number of titles: “Dear respected comrade,” for one, in addition to “supreme commander” of the Korean People’s Army.
Mike Ives contributed reporting.
Sign up here to get it by way of e-mail within the Australian, Asian, European or American morning, or to obtain an Evening Briefing on U.S. weeknights. Check out our complete vary of loose newsletters here.
What do you want to peer right here? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.