SportsPulse: USA TODAY Sports’ Lorenzo Reyes discusses NFL contract disputes, positional battles and the way gamers improving from damage glance as minicamps ramp up.
USA TODAY Sports
Since 2000, 20 quarterbacks had been taken in the second one spherical of the NFL draft.
Christian Hackenberg shapes up as the largest bust of that team after the Oakland Raiders waived him Tuesday, simply 3 weeks after coping with the New York Jets, who now don’t have anything to turn for the industry (or the pick out they burned two years in the past) for the reason that conditional variety they would bought from Oakland used to be contingent on Hackenberg creating into greater than a camp arm.
Hackenberg’s heretofore failure is emblematic of what a crapshoot drafting quarterbacks may also be — and 2d rounders within the 21st Century are an extremely interesting pattern given their vary of accomplishments (and shortage thereof).
Here’s how I rank them, worst to first:
20. Christian Hackenberg (Jets, No. 51 total in 2016): He hasn’t earned a unmarried regular-season snap and infrequently even made the sport day roster. GM Mike Maccagnan used to be roundly criticized on the time — justifiably it became out — for making an investment the sort of top variety in Hackenberg, who flashed compelling bodily characteristics at Penn State however no longer the pocket presence, consistency or different intangibles demanded of NFL passers.
19. Pat White (Dolphins, No. 44 in 2009): Then-GM Jeff Ireland concept the undersized West Virginia big name may take Miami’s fashionable Wildcat package deal to an astronomical degree. Oops. As a rookie, White rushed 21 occasions for 81 yards however did not whole any of his 5 passes. He by no means performed within the NFL once more.
18. Brian Brohm (Packers, No. 56 in 2008): He peaked at Louisville, the place he as soon as gave the impression destined to be a primary rounder. But Brohm used to be briefly overwhelmed out by means of Matt Flynn, a Green Bay 7th rounder in the similar draft elegance, and had washed out by means of 2011 after making two begins for Buffalo.
17. Marques Tuiasosopo (Raiders, No. 59 in 2001): He hung round for 8 years, most commonly in Oakland, however used to be by no means a danger to displace Rich Gannon … or any individual else.
16. John Beck (Dolphins, No. 40 in 2007): Perceived upside fooled Miami into overdrafting him as neatly. Beck misplaced all seven of his NFL begins, together with 4 as a rookie. The Dolphins did not hesitate to signal Chad Pennington and draft Chad Henne in 2008.
15. Jimmy Clausen (Panthers, No. 48 in 2010): Once seen as a Round 1 lock, he tumbled and promptly proved why, going 1-Nine in an abysmal rookie season. At least Clausen put Carolina in place to switch him the next 12 months with Cam Newton.
14. Geno Smith (Jets, No. 39 in 2013): Unlike Hackenberg, Smith appeared like a relative discount after as soon as being thought to be a possible top-10 pick out. But after failing to conform to a professional offense and, extra particularly, being painted as a locker room pariah in New York, Smith now turns out relegated to journeyman standing.
13. Kellen Clemens (Jets, No. 49 in 2006): Noticing a green-and-white theme? Clemens performed sparingly, with 17 of his 21 (most commonly unspectacular) NFL begins compressed into two seasons. But he has hung round for a very long time, even though it kind of feels 2017 may had been his ultimate 12 months backing up Philip Rivers.
12. DeShone Kizer (Browns, No. 52 in 2017): He’s nonetheless were given tantalizing upside, therefore a somewhat top slot on this score. But few (together with Notre Dame trainer Brian Kelly) concept Kizer must move professional early — and being thrust into Cleveland’s woeful lineup did not lend a hand. Kizer went Zero-15 as a rookie however stays a viable prospect who may just a great deal receive advantages in his new position as Aaron Rodgers’ understudy in Green Bay following an offseason industry.
11. Kevin Kolb (Eagles, No. 36 in 2007): Philadelphia concept sufficient of him to deal Donovan McNabb in 2010. However a chain of concussions short-circuited Kolb’s alternatives with the Eagles and, later, the Cardinals and Bills.
10. Tarvaris Jackson (Vikings, No. 64 in 2006): He had some great stretches with Minnesota and Seattle, however gave solution to Brett Favre and Russell Wilson, respectively.
Nine. Quincy Carter (Cowboys, No. 53 in 2001): He had the unenviable activity of seeking to change Troy Aikman however did arrange to guide Dallas to a 10-6 file and the playoffs in 2003. However mentioning Carter’s non-public demons, Bill Parcells minimize him previous to the 2004 season, which Carter spent with the Jets earlier than disappearing from the NFL perpetually.
eight. Drew Stanton (Lions, No. 43 in 2007): He did not give a contribution a lot to a few dangerous Detroit groups however has carved out a distinct segment as a No. 2 over time. He stored the 2014 Cardinals on their playoff trail following Carson Palmer’s season-ending damage and previous to Stanton’s personal. Now he is seeking to stick on a crowded Cleveland intensity chart.
7. Chad Henne (Dolphins, No. 57 in 2008): He did not pan out, both, for a staff that is lengthy sought Dan Marino’s successor. But Henne has settled in as a coveted clipboard provider who must lend a hand mentor Patrick Mahomes in Kansas City this 12 months after doing the similar for Blake Bortles in Jacksonville.
6. Brock Osweiler (Broncos, No. 57 in 2012): Give him credit score as a key element of Denver’s Super Bowl power in 2015. Give him extra credit score for parlaying seven NFL begins right into a four-year, $72 million deal in Houston in a while thereafter. Alas, now-itinerant Osweiler (he is dressed in a Dolphins uni in the interim) has earned few props since, even though he did pocket an enormous wad of Houston’s cash earlier than being dumped a 12 months into his contract.
five. Jimmy Garoppolo (Patriots, No. 62 in 2014): The arrow is decidedly aimed vertically after Garoppolo gained all 5 of his begins ultimate season, when he used to be bought by means of a San Francisco squad appreciably much less proficient than what “Jimmy GQ” left at the back of in New England. The 49ers and their fanatics are obviously anticipating way more shifting ahead after Garoppolo signed a five-year, $137.five million contract in February, nonetheless a hefty gamble for a participant with simply seven profession begins.
four. Colin Kaepernick (49ers, No. 36 in 2011): Judging him purely on efficiency, his bodily presents and talent to dominate a sport — who will disregard what he did to the Packers (263 yards passing, 181 yards speeding, four general TDs) within the 2012 playoffs? — had been mind-blowing. Yet the issues had been simply as irritating. Say what you’ll about his politics, however a person who got here inside a whisker of incomes a Super Bowl ring 5 years in the past must nonetheless have an NFL house.
three. Andy Dalton (Bengals, No. 35 in 2011): The glass undoubtedly skews nearer to complete. Dalton has been dependable and stable if unspectacular for seven years. No one else can declare he led Cincinnati to the playoffs in 5 consecutive seasons.
2. Derek Carr (Raiders, No. 36 in 2014): He’s been productive sufficient to in brief grasp the (mistaken) mantle because the NFL’s highest-paid participant ultimate summer season after an MVP-caliber 2016 effort. If there used to be a 2014 redraft, you would must suppose Carr would move forward of first rounders Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater.
1. Drew Brees (Chargers, No. 32 in 2001): He’d qualify as a primary rounder nowadays however got here off the board on the height of Round 2 in 2001, a 12 months earlier than the Texans got here into life. A local Texan himself, Brees has since launched into a stellar profession, most commonly after becoming a member of the Saints in 2006. A Super Bowl champion in 2009 and surefire first-ballot Hall of Famer, he will most likely overtake Peyton Manning because the NFL’s all-time chief in profession passing yards someday this October.
Follow Nate Davis on Twitter @ByNateDavis