GitHub noticed greater than 67 million pull requests this 12 months — greater than a 3rd of GitHub’s “lifetime” general of 200 million pull requests since its release in 2008. It now hosts 96 million repositories, and has over 31 million individuals — together with eight million who simply joined inside the remaining 12 months.
These are a few of the info launched in GitHub’s annual “State of the Octoverse” report — a shocking selection of which contain Microsoft.
- GitHub’s most sensible undertaking this 12 months, by way of contributor depend, was once Microsoft’s Visual Studio Code (with 19,000 individuals), adopted by way of Facebook’s React Native (10,000), TensorFlow (nine,300) and Angular CLI (eight,800) — in addition to Angular (7,600) — and the open supply documentation for Microsoft Azure (7,800).
- Microsoft now has extra staff contributing to open supply tasks than every other corporate or group (7,700 staff), adopted by way of Google (five,500), Red Hat (three,300), U.C. Berkeley (2,700), and Intel (2,200).
- The open supply documentation for Microsoft Azure is GitHub’s quickest-growing open supply undertaking, adopted by way of PyTorch (an open supply system finding out library for Python).
- Among the “Cool new open source projects” is an Electron app operating Windows 95.
But greater than 2.1 million organizations at the moment are the use of GitHub (together with private and non-private repositories) — which is 40% greater than remaining 12 months — and the file provides a amusing glimpse into the trivialities of lifestyles within the coding group.
“Since we’ve got introduced safety signals, we’ve got alerted you to more than 5 million vulnerabilities around the open supply tasks your groups rely on. And you could have already resolved greater than 800,000 of those,” GitHub experiences. In addition, “This year, more than 150 hackers helped us resolve issues in an average of 6 days,” with a complete of 213 malicious program bounty experiences resolved. “Together, the engineers and researchers in our program earned more than $300,000 in bounties.”
There’s additionally some statistics on how individuals use GitHub:
- Contributors are maximum energetic — developing problems, opening pull requests, or making feedback — between two and 4 within the afternoon.
- GitHub experiences that its individuals are much less energetic in non-public repositories on weekends, “And there’s always one quiet day on GitHub, regardless of location: New Year’s.”
- GitHub’s most sensible trending subject was once “hacktoberfest”, adopted by way of “pytorch”.
And there may be additionally statistics on where contributors are located.
- 80% of GitHub’s customers come from out of doors of the United States, with that share expanding 12 months after 12 months. But the U.S. nonetheless has the maximum individuals, adopted by way of China, and India — and the similar 3 international locations additionally had essentially the most new signups this 12 months.
- The international locations with the next-most individuals had been the U.Ok., Germany, Canada, and Brazil (which rose 3 ranks this 12 months, from the #10 place to #7…)
- Overall, extra open supply tasks were created in Asia than every other a part of the sector.
“Developers from the Czech Republic are especially chatty in public and open source repositories,” the file notes — adopted by way of Switzerland, Germany, the United States, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.