(Above, protesters burning the North’s flag as its delegation arrived via ferry.)
Separately, it stays unclear how many Russian athletes will compete on the Games. Arbitrators are nonetheless taking into consideration appeals to the rustic’s doping ban.
• In Washington, there was once little enthusiasm for President Trump’s plans to stage a military parade comparable to France’s Bastille Day festivities. It additionally stays unclear what precisely it will have fun.
Separately, the Democratic chief Nancy Pelosi spoke for more than eight hours concerning the younger undocumented immigrants referred to as Dreamers, atmosphere a file within the House of Representatives.
Mr. Trump, in his first feedback concerning the inventory marketplace plunge, mentioned it was once an overreaction to good economic news. If you’re a tender investor, and that is your first marketplace hiccup, we have some advice.
• Traveling with two senior American generals, our newshounds visited the city of Manbij in northern Syria, the place armed struggle between the U.S. and Turkey is now not unthinkable.
(Above, commanders of the Manbij Military Council; U.S. Special Forces are within the background.)
Separately, U.S. airplane carried out rare retaliatory strikes towards forces dependable to President Bashar al-Assad of Syria in keeping with an assault on allied militants.
• “Cheddar Man” had darkish pores and skin, brown curly hair and blue eyes.
New DNA assessments on Britain’s oldest entire skeleton, relationship again about 10,000 years, upend a common assumption that the rustic’s indigenous other folks have been all light skinned.
Fair pores and skin pigmentation — lengthy thought to be a defining function in Europe — is going again not up to 6,000 years, scientists say.
• China’s financial good fortune lays naked an uncomfortable historic fact: No one who preaches “free trade” really practices it.
• Forbes launched its first list of the wealthiest cryptocurrency holders, at the same time as contemporary value declines have shriveled their fortunes.
• We’ll be interviewing 3 of probably the most leading edge U.S. leader executives. You can share your questions here.
• Here’s a snapshot of global markets.
In the News
• In Taiwan, aftershocks of Tuesday’s earthquake hampered rescuers as they looked for dozens of lacking other folks in collapsed and dangerously tilted constructions. The demise toll rose to no less than 10. [The New York Times]
• Emmanuel Macron, the French president, in a coverage speech on Corsica, rejected calls for for autonomy made via the island’s resurgent nationalist leaders. [Reuters]
• A Dutch court docket requested the European Court of Justice to check proceedings via a bunch of British voters who’re in search of to retain their E.U. citizenship rights after Brexit. [The Guardian]
• Nutrition professionals say Chile’s measures towards weight problems are the sector’s maximum formidable try to remake a rustic’s meals tradition. [The New York Times]
• The our bodies of Russia’s younger determine skaters are breaking down as they push their efficiency in pursuit of gold medals and tougher jumps. [The New York Times]
Tips, each new and previous, for a extra satisfying existence.
• Enhance the flavour of seared salmon fillets with anchovy-garlic butter.
• Experts say it’s crucial to give children time and space to play.
• Here’s some recommendation on tips on how to protect yourself when your partner is sick.
• Online porn is far and wide, and younger other folks from time to time be told a lot of what they learn about intercourse from it. Some U.S. colleges are teaching students to view pornography more critically.
• With the assistance of a program generally used to stumble on plagiarism, two writers believe they have found an unpublished manuscript that can have impressed Shakespeare.
• Norway is an inexpensive vacation spot for vacationers eager to score unique experiences with out breaking the financial institution. (Now could be the most efficient time to seek advice from Oslo.)
• The Opera Ball lately is the top level of Vienna’s ball season. We explain the political subtext that continuously lurks in the back of the dazzling scenes within the Austrian capital.
• For our Magazine creator, recreating a favourite French cookie, “biscuits roses de Reims,” at house was once a lesson in misplaced expectations.
“I knew they weren’t the same as the biscuits from Champagne, but they were satisfying by every measure, good cookies on their own merits.” (Here’s the recipe.)
Pyeongchang and Pyongyang: The South Korean host of the Winter Olympics and the North Korean capital have confusingly equivalent names.
There does no longer appear to be any importance within the shared syllable, which is derived from the similar Chinese root persona which means “to pacify” or “to be level or flat.” Pyongyang approach “peaceful land” or “flat land,” and Pyeongchang approach “peaceful flourishing” or “peaceful prosperity.”
In the South, conservatives have criticized the federal government of President Moon Jae-in for welcoming the North’s participation and derided the Games as the “Pyongyang Olympics.”
Liberals and the Moon management countered that the development must be known as the Pyeonghwa, or peace, Olympics.
The host the town at the start spelled its identify “Pyongchang” in English, however added a letter in 2000 and capitalized the C to develop into PyeongChang to tell apart itself from the North’s capital, our correspondent noted. Most information organizations, together with The Times, decline to capitalize the C.
But confusion endured in spite of the rebranding. In 2014, a Kenyan guy seeking to attend a United Nations convention in Pyeongchang mistakenly flew to Pyongyang.
Inyoung Kang contributed reporting.
Your Morning Briefing is revealed weekday mornings and up to date on-line.
Sign up here to get it via e-mail within the Australian, Asian, European or American morning, or to obtain an Evening Briefing on U.S. weeknights.
Browse our complete vary of Times newsletters here.
What do you want to peer right here? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.